Hey, guys. T-Wolves fan living in NC. I've grown to adopt the Bobcats as my Eastern Conference team (I know, I know...glutton for punishment) and wanted to float ideas around since the trade deadline is inching closer.
I'm going to throw out some ideas and player that the Wolves are very interested in moving and wanted feedback on what you think (as Charlotte fans) you would be willing to do to acquire said players (if there is interest).
Injuries have pretty much derailed a Timberwolves team that was eyeing a play off berth this year. Having said that there are still gaps that need filling when it comes to the Wolves, regardless of injuries.
The biggest issue is a SG. I can see the Wolves coveting the Bobcats' 1st round pick (projected top 1 or 2 pick) in order to select either McLemore or Shabazz. I realize that it would be a tough sell to pry that pick away but I feel maybe if Minnesota was willing to take on Tyrus' wounded albatross contract, maybe other pieces can be put into place.
The following assets listed are what could be on the table for the right deal...please feel free to think about likely outcomes and I look forward to your feedback.
Most available assets:
- JJ Barea, PG(apx. 4.5mil for 2 more years after this one) Scoring amchine off the bench, lots of "moxie" and great championship experience...was a difference maker on the championship team.
- Luke Ridnour, PG (4mil, one more year) Solid veteran PG, can really shoot.
- Derrick Williams, PF/SF really coming into his own as of late. Has 3pt range, is starting to show potential of being a near 20/10 guy if on a team that can give him consistent minutes to grow. (i.e.; Charlotte). The only issue is that he plays behind, quite possibly, the best PF (at least top 3) in the league, Kevin Love.
- Brandon Roy's contract (5mil expiring...next year is unguaranteed)
- Two first round picks: Their own (projected 8-10 range) and Memphis' (projected early 20's...this pick doesn't go to Pheonix if Memphis makes the playoffs and Minnesota misses the playoffs...damn confusing stipulations)
Interesting piece that Minnesota would want to keep but may be willing to part with if the price is right:
-Nikola Pekovic, C (will be a RFA this off season) being a RFA is the only reason Minnesota would consider dealing him...Big Pek will get offers above 10mil per considering the likes of DeAndre Jordon getting around 11mil and Hibbert getting max...true centers get paid a premium and Pek is about as true as it gets. The guy is a mountain and quite possibly the strongest guy in the NBA (6'11" 290 lbs) yet is actually pretty nimble for a big guy. He actually had to match up against Tony Parker the other night and kept in front of him and prevented him from driving to the paint. Great touch around the basket and a very capable rebounder (16 double-doubles so far this season). He draws fouls and shoots around 75% at the line. His season averages put him in the upper tier of Centers in the league (16ppg,9rpg, 1bpg, and a PER just under 20 at 19.22).
So, what say you guys...any interest?